SAFETYLIT WEEKLY UPDATE

We compile citations and summaries of about 400 new articles every week.
Email Signup | RSS Feed

HELP: Tutorials | FAQ
CONTACT US: Contact info

Search Results

Journal Article

Citation

El-Hofi AH, Helaly HA. Clin. Ophthalmol. 2019; 13: 383-390.

Affiliation

Department of Ophthalmology, Faculty of Medicine, Alexandria University, Alexandria, Egypt, hany209209@yahoo.com.

Copyright

(Copyright © 2019, Dove Press)

DOI

10.2147/OPTH.S192316

PMID

30858688

PMCID

PMC6387598

Abstract

PURPOSE: To evaluate the outcome of limbal transplantation in eyes with bilateral severe ocular surface damage secondary to chemical injury.

PATIENTS AND METHODS: This was a retrospective case series that included 20 patients who had undergone living related limbal transplantation due to the presence of bilateral severe stem cell deficiency resulting from chemical injury. Medical records of the selected patients were reviewed. The following data were recorded and analyzed: gender; age at the time of the surgery; duration of follow-up; corrected distance visual acuity (CDVA); symptoms; intraocular pressure (IOP); any complications; postoperative treatment; and other surgical procedures needed.

RESULTS: The mean age of the included patients was 27.4±9.3 years. The causative agent was an alkali in 14 patients. Fifteen patients (75%) had a stable ocular surface (ie, complete corneal re-epithelization and resolution of postoperative inflammation) after the first limbal transplantation, while the other five patients (25%) needed regrafting. As regards the IOP; five patients (25%) needed Ahmed's valve implantation to control the IOP. Other surgical procedures needed were penetrating keratoplasty (PKP) in three patients (15%), cataract surgery in six patients (30%), and lid surgery in one patient (5%).

CONCLUSION: In conclusion, living related conjunctival limbal allograft transplantation, especially when combined with amniotic membrane transplantation, yielded good results in the management of cases with bilateral severe chemical eye injuries.


Language: en

Keywords

chemical injury; limbal stem cells; living related; transplantation

NEW SEARCH


All SafetyLit records are available for automatic download to Zotero & Mendeley
Print