SAFETYLIT WEEKLY UPDATE

We compile citations and summaries of about 400 new articles every week.
Email Signup | RSS Feed

HELP: Tutorials | FAQ
CONTACT US: Contact info

Search Results

Journal Article

Citation

Taylor MA, Spanos SP, Fenton SJ, Russell KW. Cureus 2020; 12(5): e8181.

Copyright

(Copyright © 2020, Curēus)

DOI

10.7759/cureus.8181

PMID

32566422 PMCID

Abstract

Neodymium ball magnets are commonly ingested by children and are a risk of causing significant morbidity if not addressed appropriately. While most ingested magnets are located distal to the epiglottis in the gastrointestinal tract, they can rarely get lodged across tissues in the mouth and throat such as the epiglottis. Though rare, this represents an impending airway emergency and requires urgent treatment once identified. We present the case of a two-year-old, asymptomatic male who presented after ingesting two neodymium ball magnets that were found to be clicked together across his epiglottis, which were ultimately retrieved by bronchoscopy without complications.

Keywords: Multiple magnet ingestion

NEW SEARCH


All SafetyLit records are available for automatic download to Zotero & Mendeley
Print